Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Flow Champions Cup players eying Top scorers title

Former National under 20 and under 23 player Romario Campbell has set his sights on becoming the leading goal scorer in this year’s Flow Champions Cup. 

The 23 year old attacking midfielder who now plies his trade at Waterhouse FC, has already begun his move in that direction having netted a hat-trick in his team’s 7-1 demolition of Port Morant United in round two of the all island knock out competition.

Campbell along with Black Stars striker Davian Ash and Huggarth Nugent of Sporting Central Academy lead the goal scoring table with three goals each. Ash also recorded an impressive hat-trick when the St. Elizabeth based team blanked Logwood FC 7-0 in Round One of the competition but failed to impress when his team was stopped 6-1 by Sporting Central. In that same match, Nuggent recorded two goals, adding to his first in Round 1 in a 2-1 match against Jamalco. 

For Campbell, winning the goal scorers title would be a big boost for the former Harbour View player who has been eyed by national coach Winfred Shafer.

“It would be a great honour for me to win the golden boot award as a midfielder, I have been working hard and that hard work has been paying off big time for me”, Campbell said.

Waterhouse FC has just one game under their belt in the Flow Champions Cup, and with their upcoming match in the quarter-final round, Campbell has set his target to becoming the leading marksman in the competition. “I believe I can score between six and seven goals in this competition, my team is playing well in both the knock out and league and once I continue to get myself in goal scoring positions I know I will finish well.”

Campbell, who recently returned to the island having spent some three months participating in the Caribbean Cup in North America, says he has been put on a special training and fitness programme  by Reggae Boyz coach Shafer who plans to include the creative midfielder in his squad for the next World Cup qualifier.

“Coach Shafer called me and told me that he likes my style of play and that I should work hard on my fitness and get into better match shape because he wants me to be a part of the Reggae Boyz squad when they travel to play the US in the first week of October.”

The former Norman Manley Manning Cup player has been hailed by local football pundits as one of the most agile and skilful midfielders in the land. His strength has been his composure on the ball as well as his passing and dribbling skills.

It is with these qualities he hopes to emulate his best international and local players.
“I am an Argentine by heart, so I mimic my game of Lionel Messi of Barcelona as well as Jermaine Hue of Harbour View, both players are very skilful on and off the ball and I want to fashion my game of those two players.”

The wily midfielder believes that Waterhouse can lift the 2013 Flow Champions Cup with players the likes of Marvin Morgan, Lamar Nelson and Jermaine “Tuffy” Anderson in their squad.

“We have a solid unit and the team chemistry is beyond anything that I have seen in local football, with the help of God and the team executing on the day, no one can beat Waterhouse.”

On the other hand, 21 year old Nugent also has his eye on the top scorer title. The former Jamalco player is now in his first season with Sporting Central FC. Nugent, playing for the first time in the Flow Champions Cup attributes the team’s success thus far to teamwork and great talent.

“It has been a great experience. I’m happy to be one of the top goal scorers, it’s be really rough so far to achieve but I know I will do well. I think we have a good chance of going far in the competition, actually our aim is to win. 

Looking forward to getting a scholarship to play collegiate football for an overseas team but for the moment he is working on scoring more goals to lead his team to lift the championship cup.
“I think our chances are great. We are a skilled team and we gel well. My teammates will create chances so I have to be quick and just score goals,” he said.

Nugent and Campbell will go head to head on Thursday, October 3 when Sporting Central tackles Waterhouse FC at the Juici Patties Park at 3pm. The Flow Champions Cup continues with eight teams advancing to the quarter final round of the competition with four matches to be played on October 2 and 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment