Monday, October 7, 2013

Selena Chin on setting high standards and sticking to them

28 year old Selena Chin has climbed her way up the professional ladder to become one of the leading Insurance Advisors at Sagicor Life Jamaica. Being placed among the ranks of powerful, internationally acclaimed motivational speakers such as Stef du Plessis and Wintley Phipps; Chin made her debut presentation at the annual Sagicor Motivational Seminar (SMS). The event which took place from September 26 to 29 at Secrets Resort in Montego Bay, has been staged a total of 30 times and has been rated as a first class production by international speakers. The annual seminar garners large audiences from Sagicor employees in Jamaica, Antigua, Belize, Dominica, Barbados, Cayman, and the United States. 

In an interview, Chin, now an Executive Insurance Advisor, claims that she intends to share her story of a life full of struggles and triumphs; and what people can do to keep themselves motivated.  

“My biggest inspiration is a speaker I heard and met at SMS 2012, his name is Derek Mills; he is called the ‘standards guy’. He taught me to set high standards; and stick to my standards," said the vivacious and driven Advisor.

As the only child for her mother, Chin says she battled with rejection from her father at an early age and financial constraints which others thought would cripple her access to an education. “My mother is my motivation. She had me at an early age and decided to devote her life to ensuring that I got a good education and that I would be proud of who I became.”

The bright eyed professional divulged that identifying opportunities, focusing on the positives and doing more than you are paid to do are crucial success factors. “The very first summer job I got, I made sure to work hard a leave a good impression. I was eventually offered a full time job. I worked hard and was promoted two times within a five year period, while I was going to University.” 

Chin graduated with honours from the University of Technology in 2006 after earning a Bachelor Degree in Business Administration with a major in Marketing.

She chuckles as she admits that her transition to insurance came after she embraced one of her key motivators: Money. “I saw selling insurance as another opportunity and I was not going to let it pass me. I was just turning 22 at the time that I applied for the job – so my age was an issue, but I never backed down. However, a driver’s licence and a motor vehicle were also pre-requisites to become an agent at Sagicor. So my mother and I scraped all we had together and bought a little put-put,” she laughs. “I got the job after about a year of persevering.”

As she continues to make history as a young Sagicor Executive, Chin gives credit to Waldemar Bramwell, another Executive Advisor who acted as an inspiration; Rudolph Jackson, Unit Manager and Randolph McLean, Branch Manager for taking a leap of faith to hire her. She also believes that self motivation, a strong sense of responsibility and professionalism have played a major role.

So what will happen for Chin after SMS? “I will continue to set high standards and stick to them.”

Selena Chin’s branch awards (Knutsford Boulevard) for 2011 and 2012 are as follows...

Selena Chin at Sagicor's 2013 Corporate Awards
(2011) Branch Manager’s Trophy, Most Improved Agent, 1st runner up Top Producer Trophy, 2nd runner up Cases Trophy and also won the coveted Century Club Qualifier.

 (2012) 2nd place winner of the Pansy Ennevor Trophy, Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT) Qualifier, Century Club President, Maxine MaClure Award for Most Improved Agent and Member of the Executive Club.  Consistency Trophy, Conservation Trophy, Top Female Trophy, Cases Trophy, Branch Manager’s Trophy, Most Improved Agent, 1st runner up Top Producer Trophy.

Each year Sagicor Life Jamaica, has gathered the company’s Financial Advisors and Administrative Staff in a Seminar aimed at encouraging self-development and business acumen.  This includes members of staff from Sagicor offices worldwide.

Sagicor Life Jamaica Limited is the leading life insurance provider in Jamaica. The Company commenced operations in 1970 as Life of Jamaica Limited, the first locally owned life insurance company and the first life insurance company to be listed on the JSE. Since its inception, Sagicor Life has gained a solid reputation as an innovator and leader in the Caribbean life insurance industry. The Company continues to be the market leader among local life insurance companies.



No comments:

Post a Comment