Thursday, March 26, 2015

Javon Francis improves season’s best at UWI Invitational

A focused Javon Francis before
running his heat of the men's 
Olympic development 400m race
at the UWI Invitational. He ran
a SB of 45.91 seconds.
World Championships 4X400m relays silver medalist Javon Francis improved his season’s best to 45.91 seconds to win the Olympic development men’s 400m race at the UWI Invitational on Saturday March 21 at the UWI/Usain Bolt Track. Francis’s new season best was the top performance of the day in the 400m event ahead of his World Championships silver medal teammate Edino Steele of Racers Track Club who ran 46.34 seconds and Javere Bell of Cameron Blazers who claimed third overall with 46.65 seconds.

Francis’s previous best of 46.29 seconds was erased in comfortable fashion, as he dominated the race from start to finish before shutting down with a few meters to go. The young quarter-mile phenomenon was pleased with the improvement but feels there is much more room for improvement.

“I am pleased with the performance I think I executed well and ran a controlled race but I am still far off my best. I want to be recognized alongside the likes of LaShawn Merritt and Kirani James so I have my work cut out for me over the course of the season. Overall I am happy with where I am but I know I have to keep working hard and listening to the instructions of my coach, Michael Clarke so I can improve and achieve my full potential,” said a beaming Francis.

Olympic and World Championships gold medal sprint dynamo, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce competed in the women’s Olympic development 400m race clocking 55.67 seconds to finish seventh overall. The top honours went to the Racers pair of Rosemarie White-Robinson and Ristananna Tracey who clocked 52.78 seconds and 54.28 seconds respectively.

Other top performances on the day came from Anguillan Zharnel Hughes, representing the High Performance Training Center (HPTC) and UTECH’s Shericka Jackson. The former Kingston College man, sped to 20.58 seconds in the men’s 200m Olympic development race to beat Racers athletes Terrence Cotton and Kenroy Anderson with Kemar Bailey-Cole beaten back in fourth with a time of 20.87 seconds.  While in the female equivalent, Jackson was head and shoulders above the field clocking 23.11seconds to beat UTECH teammate Elaine Thompson and Spintec’s Anastasia LeRoy who clocked 23.32 seconds and 23.43 seconds respectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment